[mythtv-users] Settings messed up when IP adress changes

Ben Dash ben_dash at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 2 01:44:55 EST 2005

I'm with you on that.  I just built a new mythbackend,
I finally went for a BigWater SP water cooler so it's
silent now, except for some quiet theraputic gargling.
 The point is that the IP address changed and I had to
reconfigure the backend.  No big deal, I just ran
mysthsetup, however, it seemed very unnecessary.  I
had to specify the IP for my hostname.  Surely we
could just change the code so it does a
gethostbyname().

It seems strange that the backend settings are tied to
the IP address instead of the dns name.  Could the be
a possible modification for the next release?  I'm a
networking programmer by day so I guess I should
really create the patch :-)

Any thoughts?

--- cardboil <cardboil at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently setup a wireless connectio on my mythbox,
> in order to avoid
> running a cable for the LAN connection. The wireless
> connection uses dhcp
> (using dhclient wlan0) and when I did that the
> machine got a new IP address
> by my access point. When I did this, my mythfrontend
> settings (keybindings,
> video/music directory locations, etc.) got messed up
> -- set back to
> defaults. Why does this happen? I can understand if
> settings change based on
> the user that's logged in, but in my case the user
> is the same (mythtv). Is
> there any way to prevent this from happening and
> revert to my old settings?

|Ben Dash                                           |
|Ask free questions - http://bensqanda.blogspot.com |
|My Blog -    http://bensdailythoughts.blogspot.com |
|Info -  http://bensinformationstation.blogspot.com |
|Workouts -        http://bensworkouts.blogspot.com |