[mythtv-users] Re: A warning about Samsung HDDs

Brady liquidgecka at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:55:15 EST 2005

I am not so sure about modern drives. They changed the way that they
handle spindle connections after I stopped killing drives for a
living. However I can tell you this: it is very common for a drive
that has been spinning for long periods to simply not spin back up.
The motor can continue spinning the drive but doesn't have enough
power to start it spinning again. This is why a reboot of an entire
cluster often means four or five systems keeling over due to bad
fans/hard drives.

Most drives will last a long time if left on. However, this is a bad
things to rely on as the dive may just up and barf one reboot.

Usually I find that spun down drives die far less often when paired
with a cheap power supply. If your power supply isn't top notch then
spin down your drive and reduce the risk of power problems. If you
have top notch drives then keep them spinning so you can reduce the
wear during start/stop. By high quality I am not just talking about
"$100 or more" I am talking about a nice regulated supply that has
tight tolerances.

Mostly I go by a simple rule: A drive should only spin up/down about
once per day.