[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Hollywood after the Analog Hole again

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Tue Nov 1 18:47:48 EST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 04:38:07PM -0500, Chris Clarke wrote:
> Interesting article about some new proposed legislation, if it passes
> Myth will be banned/useless (at least according to the article....)
>
> http://www.boingboing.net/2005/11/01/hollywood_after_the_.html

Somewhat old news, but still good to keep people informed.  If I
remember right, and in short, they want every type of Analog to Digital
encoder to require DRM technology.  This "flooding the world to kill an
ant" tactic is alarming, but it won't be enforceable.  It would require
every heart monitor, earthquake sensor, microphone, camera, and any
other analog to digital encoder (Billions exist in millions of devices)
to support DRM then let hollywood controll it all -- Unlikely to happen.

What I see happening is they do this as a first step so when they come
up with something less wide spread it's looked at and okay'd even though
it's still to much (But they make everyone think they're getting the
better end of the deal because it's "less than the orignal idea").

Hollywood I believe can do all they want, but I'm not going to overly
worry until it's much more refined.

--Brandon