[mythtv-users] use frontend diskspace for recordings ?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 1 09:44:49 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 08:51, Mark Knecht wrote:
> Yes, it is possible. I partitioned my 250GB frontend only machine as
> 10GB for Gentoo and 240GB in a separate partition. I then made the
> large partition available through NFS and mounted it on the backend as
> the location to store recordings.
>
> While recording uses network bandwidth, the nice thing is that this
> frontend is the main family system in the family room and there is no
> network traffic when watching playback. (On that frontend)

Is that really true?  I thought the frontend would contact the backend
requesting the recording.  The backend then streams the recording to the
frontend.  In this case it would pull it over NFS then send it to the
frontend.

If I understand mythtv correctly the frontend does not really know where
the recordings are stored.  It asks the backend system to supply that as
needed.

In a previous thread I understood that changes would have to be made to
the database if a slave backend NFS mounted the recordings directory on
the master backend and subsequently the slaves recordings directory was
made local.  Any recordings made by the slave when the NFS was in place
would not be found when the backend checked the database.