[mythtv-users] Killing all known channels, dead

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Nov 1 05:21:12 EST 2005

In message <4367405D.4020709 at apebox.org>
        Jo Shields <directhex at apebox.org> wrote:

> I had specifically deleted a number of channels. They're reappearing
> as the days pass - i.e. I can now hit 16 and get the incredibly handy
> QVC shopping channel I deleted last week - ditto the extraordinarily
> helpful (encrypted) porno channel, Television X, or the not so pervy
> but equally encrypted Cartoon Network. I did *nothing* to make them
> appear, and have found myself removing them more than once. It was
> handy for More4 to add itself as it did, but that doesn't mean I want
> the corpses of Top-Up TV to return. Unless someone feels like giving
> out a SoftCAM 101, which I doubt they do.

This is entirely deliberate and has been discussed numerous times
in the past on this list.

Basically whenever you tune to a channel any other channels on the
same multiplex which are not in your database will be added. I would
guess that the SVN code will add them even without you tuning to a
channel on that multiplex as a result of the EIT crawler visiting
all the multiplexes in the background.

If you don't want to see a channel then mark it as hidden rather than
deleting it and all your problems will go away.

You shouldn't be getting encrypted channels though - those (and radio
channels) are normally ignored.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)