[mythtv-users] grabbing individual frames/images for "poster"

Bill Evans BillEvans at TulaneAlumni.net
Tue Nov 1 01:54:02 EST 2005

I'm trying to implement a simple image grabber, either as a (user)
filter or perhaps differently.  I'd like to be able to:

(1) specify a specific time (or frame) in a .nuv file and grab that
frame as a jpeg; I know I don't know enough about the frame process to
know the best way to do it, but I'd like it to be as complete a frame as
possible (without pixelation, incomplete blocks, etc).

The current method of using mplayer and the "-vo jpeg:..." works in that
it'll create a lot of jpeg images for me.  However, I really don't want
to create that many images and don't want to go through them all.  When
I specify an offset into the show (with "-sb x" or "-ss x") and limit it
with "-frames 10", it starts giving me partial blocks.  I have to use 10
for frames since it does not tend to give me an image if I specify only
1 frame.

I'm doing this wrong.  Even if I'm close to doing it correctly with this
tool, it doesn't seem to be the most efficient.  When asking mplayer to
go "deep" into a show, it appears to take a while processing everything
ahead of it.  I'm sure that this is possible at least on a small level,
but is there a better way?

(2) Anyway, once this works consistently and accurately, I'd like to
automate it into a script so that I can call it as a user filter.  I'd
like to be able to look in the mysql database and find either the
bookmark's location or use editing marks to determine which frame(s) to
grab as images.  (Where to store them is secondary at this point and, I
suspect, easy to safely configure.)

I don't really care at this point if the images are useful to current
mythtv programs; though that is perhaps my #3 goal, the first two would
be a 90% solution for my needs.

Thanks for any help.

-bill