[mythtv-users] WinTV 401 and PVR-250

Scott Creasman screasman at cox.net
Mon May 30 15:49:50 UTC 2005

Last November I built a system intended to serve as a dedicated MythTV box.
Thus far, the "going" has been a real struggle, although I managed to get
the system up and running for the first time yesterday.  I believe part of
reason things didn't work right out of the box because some of the linux
drivers weren't ready yet for the hardware I'd purchased.  Whether that's
ultimately the case, I don't know, but I finally saw images for the first
time after updating the NVidia driver yesterday.  Also, I used Jarod's Guide
for the setup.

Unfortunately, I may have gotten a little greedy last night.  I'd originally
purchased a WinTV 401 video capture card with the Conexant 2388x chipset.
After struggling to get the card up and running, I bought the PVR-250 card.
The PVR-250 card was the one that was in the system when I saw images for
the first time and was the /dev/video0 device.

When I installed the WinTV 401 card with the PVR-250 card, FC3 seemed to
autodetect the new card, and made an addition to my modprobe.conf file.
Unfortunately, when I look at my video devices I find /dev/video0 - but
there is no /dev/video1.  Also, I'm no longer recording TV.  I see new
programs listed, but there is no video to go along with the recordings.

If I type:

/sbin/depmod -a

/sbin/modprobe ivtv

I get the /dev/video1 device, although the device doesn't stay on reboot.
Also, if I launch mythtvsetup, I can't add /dev/video1 as a device.

Also, if I type:

/sbin/lsmod

It does appear that the cx8800 have loaded.

So, my question to the group is:  What have I missed the in the setup?
Here's a copy of /etc/modprobe.conf and some basics about my hardware:

alias eth0 sk98lin
alias usb-controller ehci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 uhci-hcd
# lirc
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c

# wintv 401
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 cx8800

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-7174
alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-7174