[mythtv-users] Upgrading kernel & kmdls in one step

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat May 28 07:24:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 11:23:56PM -0600, Garry Cook wrote:
> I had a similar problem today. apt-get dist upgrade downgraded my
> kernel. Very wierd, didn't think it was supposed to automagically
> upgrade the kernel, let alone downgrade it. Either way, it did not
> install any of the kernel modules (ivtv, alsa, lirc, etc.), so after a
> reboot, the X server wouldn't start. Had to ssh in, at which point I
> could have just booted the old kernel, but instead I upgraded (for
> real this time) and installed the modules.

Unfortunately none of the depsolvers is clever enough to upgrade the
kernel and all the kmdls. You need some manual steps to persuade the
depsolver to do so (see below). The reason apt downgraded your kernel
is because you are running an older and now unsupported kernel
(2.6.11-1.14_FC3?) and some kmdl was available in a newer version
(probably alsa) but had no kernel counterpart in your system. So apt
chose one randomly and randomly means by Murphy's law always the one
you wouldn't apt want to choose ... ;)

Here is another post on the subject:

     http://lists.atrpms.net/pipermail/atrpms-users/2005-May/003043.html

Just perform the following steps:

OLD=`uname -r`
NEW=2.6.11-1.27_FC3
rpm -qa --qf '%{name} ' \*kmdl\*${OLD}\* | sed -e"s,$OLD,$NEW,g" | xargs apt-get -y install

Replace NEW with any other target kernel (possibly including an "smp"
suffix etc.) in the future.

I wished this could be simplified, perhaps smart will be able to cope
with this in the future truly automagically.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net