[mythtv-users] Remain in MPEG-2 but remove commercials?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:12:27 UTC 2005

On 5/27/05, Adam Egger <adam.egger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/27/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >    Is it possible to somehow use transcode to leave my recorded files
> > in MPEG-2 format but remove the commercials? Essentially I'd like to
> > automate what the Z key does when I'm watching.
>
> Yes, that's what I'm looking for. I'd just like to cut out the
> commercials without changing anything else with the source file (like
> I've done with VirtualDub on windows years ago).
> Is it possible to remove unneeded parts of a recording in a few
> seconds/minutes without having to transcode the source file (what
> takes ages on my AMD64-3000+)?

I probably have a somewhat different issue to deal with than most. My
mother just had a stroke and is laid up in bed recovering. I went to
her place this last week and set up a Myth backend on their PC using a
PVR-150 and then built an XBox based frontend. She's using it but is
limited to the XBox remote control. I showed her how to use the
forward arrow to skip forward but it seems she always overruns the
start of the next section of her shows and is having a hard time
backing up to where she wants to be.

I was really looking for a nice, simple, automated way to get her to
the point where she just watches the show without commercials. This
will require that everything is done by Myth and that hopefully it's
done accurately. If it's not automatic and if it's not accurate then
it's of no major interest.

On the home front I'd like the same capabilities for my wife and kid.
They are not going to be willing to run anything by hand. As for me I
might do it but I don't want to work too hard. Myth is supposed to
make my life easier and more fun but I'm finding that will all the
book keeping involved in getting the hard drive to empty out and make
room for new recordings, and then this run nuvexport, run transcode by
hand, it's beginning to feel like a job and not a hobby.

- Mark