[mythtv-users] /dev/video0 missing and cannot bind to socket

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 26 21:53:54 UTC 2005

Ed Hills wrote:

>So here is the what I get when I start Mythbackend.  Any thoughts.
>FC3 & 2.6.11.1.27
>2005-05-26 09:47:54.059 Channel(/dev/video0)::Open(): Can't open video
>device, error"No such file or directory"

Well - it is kind of obvious - isn't it. So maybe I am getting this wrong.
When a device driver is loaded, then it usually creates a device
binding. Sometimes it even creates the device file. But not always.
Some people thinks that device files must be found in /dev but that is
not so. They can be anywhere.
It is just very convenient not to spread them all over the place.

In your case you will see that there is no "video0" in "/dev".
And that is what Myth is croaking about.
Without the file it has no clue about the device binding.

So what to do? Well first have a look in /dev
Is there any "video*" files there?
If not then your video card probably wasn't recognized. Let us see the
boot log ( do a dmesg).
if you have a /dev/video file then enter that instead of /dev/video0
The name is not important per se. You can go to the /dev and make a link
from /dev/video to /dev/naked_women.
Then you can specify naked_women as your capture source.

Again: if you have a /dev/video and it in fact is the capture device,
then you can do two things:
1) change /dev/video0 to /dev/video in the MythTv setup
2) cd /dev; ln -s video video0

Karsten