[mythtv-users] Stability of ATrpms

Karsten Jeppesen karsten at jeppesens.com
Thu May 26 21:08:55 UTC 2005

Axel Thimm wrote:

>On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 05:58:05PM -0700, Karsten Jeppesen wrote:
>

>>Regarding your question about Axel (atrpms):
>>In my opinion atrpms should be handled with care. If used incorrectly -
>>it may blow up your system.
>>

>Not if you use at-stable which is the default setting.

Yes you do. Next time I go through  a scratch setup and hit the problem
I will send you the procedure. Of course it is time dependent so what
doesn't work now may work the next day and then the next day not again.
That is the game of a live system.

>>Some of the stuff that is there is much more
>>complete than it is from the base/update repositories, and a lot more
>>bleeding edge. Not unstable - just newer.
>>

>Not if you use at-stable which is the default setting. ;)

I only use that. What I ment was that the FC base/update repositories at
times are way behind.

>>So it is possible to paint yourself into a corner revision wise.
>>My philosophy is: never use yum update while atrpms is active. Only
>>download what you need.
>>

>Then you are left with broken dependencies.

Not necesarrily. You may just not have a working system. As I described
with the Alsa system. Axel it is not your fault. In fact it has nothing
to to with you at all. It is inherent in the rpm structure.

>>An example is the Alsa system. If you use yum update the Alsa system
>>will be useless afterwards. Simply because the FC3 rpms for Alsa are
>>brainless. So you end up with atrpms Alsa system except for the
>>alsalib which will remain the old one. DUH - they are not
>>compatible.
>>

>If you download selectively you are left with broken dependencies.
>That kind of caution is just doing the damage you are trying to avoid.
>
>Also using yum is known to munge your system. The recommended
>depsolver is apt (and smart for x86_64/i386 multilib systems)

My experience says otherwise. Of course I only have a few thousand
machines in 2 architectures: PPC and x86.

>>So you can get all the neat stuff from atrpms. But do not disconnect
>>your brain. It does require supervision.
>>That is why I maintain internal caches of outside repositories. It makes
>>it faster to wipe the system and get it back up again.
>>

>ATrpms' at-stable section has been just that, stable. Even if
>mythtv-suite sometimes has bad dependencies ...
>
>If you use the "bleeding" section, then all you get is what you asked
>fro ;

That is why I don't use the bleeding section.

Axel, don't think I am chewing your butt. I am not. I use atrpms for a
lot of things. probably 15% of my current setups are from atrpms. And
that says a lot.

Karsten