[mythtv-users] WHISH-LIST: what I always wanted.

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu May 26 07:51:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 11:10:46PM -0700, Joe Votour wrote:
> Actually, this would be a nice feature, but I'm not
> willing to code it, so I can live without.
>
> I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There are
> some people (myself included) who happen to use the
> LiveTV feature.  Or, alternatively, I'll start
> recording a show, but them in skipping commercials, I
> catch up with the live feed.
>
> Can't skip commercials to get to content that hasn't
> aired yet.

Well, sure you can.   However, in MythTV at least for now, unlike
the Tivo, you just can't do it in the livetv mode.  You must always
select to record the show, then watch the recording.

This leaves you free to watch any of the other large number of
shows you have on your machine at any given time.  Watch such
a show (documentaries and other non-suspense shows work best) for
however long it will take to match the number of commercials you have
to skip, and then watch the live show.   If you understimate, just
pause and watch some other programming for a while.

It's like you used to do, changing channels in the commercial break,
except with no discontinuity.

Generally I never recommend use of Myth's live tv mode, even if you
want to watch live tv, but I know there are plans to improve it.