[mythtv-users] Backend not found

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Thu May 26 02:05:41 UTC 2005

Donavan Stanley wrote:

>On 5/25/05, Jens <jens at pacificsun.ca> wrote:
>

>>Forgive the rather basic question ....
>>I have been running MythTV on a single box (front and backend together) for
>>some time now. Today I had a power failure and after this failure Myth
>>refuses to start up correctly. It starts up OK but when I go to watch a show
>>or a recoding it tells me that it couldn't find the backend (is it running ?)
>>and it asks me if the IP number in the setup program is correct. I have
>>looked in /etc/mythtv for any sort of configuration file with no luck.
>>What is the 'setup program' referring to ? Since the myth box starts out in
>>GUI mode automatically, and since I have not found a menu item that seems to
>>allow IP configuration, what do I need to do ?

I've been seeing the same symptoms here on a Gentoo box (on restart,
mythbackend isn't starting up), the problem I've found is that
*something* is resetting the ownership of the mysql /var/run/mysqld
directory to root:mysql, instead of mysql:mysql .  As a result, mysqld
doesn't start (but the init.d script doesn't notice this), and then
mythbackend doesn't start because it can't connect to the database
server (but again, the init.d script doesn't notice).

To see if this is the problem, check first to see if mysqld is running:
    ps -A -f | grep mythbackend
    ps -A -f | grep mysql
If you don't see a half-dozen of both mythbackend and mysqld showing up,
then you may have the same problem.

To get around it, I reset the ownership of the directory to be mysql:mysql:
    chown mysql:mysql /var/run/mysqld
Then do (warning: zap is probably a dangerous and evil thing if the
daemon is actually running!)
    /etc/init.d/mysql zap
    /etc/init.d/mysql start
    /etc/init.d/mythbackend zap
    /etc/init.d/mythbackend start
No idea how to *fix* the problem, or even if the mysql:mysql ownership
is "correct" (though it does seem to *work*), but hopefully this helps
the original poster somewhat.

Good luck,
Mike