[mythtv-users] Bottom-end MythTv Suggestions

Bob Cottingham bob at bobnvic.com
Wed May 25 19:16:35 UTC 2005

Craig Betts wrote:
> I built out of an ASUS Pundit-S, $115 on new egg, and a Celeron-D
> processor, ~$70-80.  A little bit pricier than the other suggestions given,
> but the small case looks just like a DVD player, and Jarod's guide has
> specific instructions for the pundit.  I've been extremely pleased with it
> so far

Considering the Pundit includes a case and motherboard, it isn't really
any more expensive (unless you don't need a case of course), and is about
as cheap as you can reasonably create a system.

It may not have all the room you'd want for a frontend/backend system
though a lot of people seem to have been happy with it in that
configuration. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only one IDE channel,
no SATA, so you can only fit one optical and one hard drive in the system
and installing a PVR-150/250/500 may require some time with a dremel to
get it to fit.

There seems to be a lot of variability on people's happiness with the
noise and quality of the video out from reading the list. Am I wrong in my
perception?

Bob C