[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed May 25 19:03:14 UTC 2005

Kyle Rose wrote:
> Monster cables and components are indeed built well, but they are no
> better than the equivalent gold-plated connector available for 1/4 of
> the cost.

i have a number of monster products (component cable, banana clips,
digital audio coax, etc) ... one of the things i really like about their
stuff is the "girth" of the cable ...

but, you're not the first person i've heard say that monster cables are
over-priced or not worth it (one of the people having their own very
high-end home theatre company in KC) ... any brands you reccommend?

right now, i've got a mishmash of brands .. some RCA stuff for the
lower-end, less-critical connections (VCR->TV, etc) .. monster for
digital coax and component out from myth->tv .. Phillips for the rest,
incl speaker wire .. can't rem which gage, but it's about 5-10x thicker
than the original crap wire that came w/ the speakers (ironically, that
original wire is now used to connect a doorbell to my garage door opener
... 'bout all it's suitable for, imho :P)

i've also heard many people that are big into the high-end home theatre
stuff bash Best Buy and Circuit City as places to purchase componants,
cables, etc ... anyone know why?  is it because BB pushes Monster cables
on anyone that comes in?  other reasons?  just curious! :)

thanks!
-g-