[mythtv-users] OT: RG-6 crimping question

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:43:55 UTC 2005

On 5/25/05, Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:
> If/when you do upgrade, consider re-terminating the basement work. One
> less-than-optimum termination can degrade the signal throughout the
> building. We use a Comsonics test unit to troubleshoot and optimize
> b-band cable for our customers. It's absolutely amazing how much the SNR
> and BER improve as poor quality terminations/splitters are replaced in
> the process.
>
> If there is enough interest, I'll write up a howto on broadband cable
> residential distribution.

That would probably be great info to put on the Wiki.  My house
currently isn't wired for cable (only one room where it comes through
the wall).  My Memorial Day project is to put a splitter in a closet
and move the cable modem out of the living room, so I would definitely
be interested.

On the topic, what do you consider a good splitter?  The ones comcast
usually gives me look like the cheepies at the home improvement store.
 I've tried the $2 splitter, the $8 RCA gold plated splitter and even
the $25 Monster super-duper all gold splitter.  All of them seem to be
better than the 20 year old splitter in the house to begin with, but I
couldn't see a differance between the $2 one and the $25.  [Anyone
want to buy a Monster Gold Plated 3-way splitter, drop me an email. :)
]

BTW, last night I picked up at Home Depo a Compression Connector Kit
by Datacom(?) for $39 last night.  It has the crimper (which looks
like that Zenith one), a coax stripper, a side cut, and 10 connectors.
 I made to short cables with it.  It worked pretty well.  They didn't
have the Ideal tool.