[mythtv-users] DVD rip preserving menus

Anthony Valentine amv at akvalentine.com
Wed May 25 00:11:10 UTC 2005

Jonathan Watmough wrote:

>>Please excuse my ignorance. I just don't get this... I get an i/o
>>

>>>error when I try to run this 'dd' command, either as mythtv or root.
>>>Also, I'm not sure about 'copy_of', should this be the name of the
>>>DVD? For instance, I want to rip my copy of Black Hawk Down to the
>>>Mythbox, do I use this:
>>>dd if/dev/dvd of=/tmp/BLACK_HAWK_DOWN.iso bs=2048
>>>xine dvd:///tmp/BLACK_HAWK_DOWN.iso

In the example above, you forgot the = between dd and if.

Yes, of=/tmp/BLACK_HAWK_DOWN.iso will work.  It is just the name of the
file that is created, so it can be anything you want it to be.  The
movie title, however, is a logical choice.

Just FYI, (some of) the options to the dd command are:
    if - This is the "input file", bearing in mind that in *nix devices
are files too.
    of - This is the "output file".  Typically a file on disk, but can
also be a tape device, etc.
    bs - This is the "block size", or number of bytes to be read per
block of data.

You can type 'man dd' at the linux command line to the manual page for
dd.  In fact, you can 'man' any unix command.