[mythtv-users] Reboot of backend causes frontend to crash?

Neale Swinnerton mythtv-users.spam at isismanor.com
Tue May 24 07:42:07 UTC 2005

I agree it would be nice if the frontend just recovers when the backend
has bounced. From a user point of view, you only care when the backend
isn't there. Not that is wasn't there at some point in the past. As it
stands at the moment, if the backend has restarted after the frontend came
up you will get this error message.

> Hi,
>    This may be specific to the Xebian version I jsut brought up. If I
> reboot the MythTV backend server I end up with a message on the XBox
frontend that says something to the effect of:

> "The backend has stopped operating.. Is it running?"
>
> And then an opportunity to say OK. Unfortunately it does not seem that
the XBox IR remote would actually satisfy the 'OK' button on the dialog
box. I ended up pushing the power button on the XBox and
> rebooting. I didn't tink of trying to log in remotely and do a real
restart of the machine which would have been a better choice.

> 1) Is it true that I cannot reboot a backend server without having to so
something physical to all the frontend machines?

> 2) Is there anyway to configure mythfronend to allow the server to go
away for 5 minutes and then to figure out that it's back?

> 3) Why does the frontend care at all about this?Why doesn't it just sit
when I'm not using it and look at the backend when I give it a command?