[mythtv-users] Getting PVR 250 Working UK / PAL

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon May 23 15:51:53 UTC 2005

On 5/23/05, Rowan <mythtv at rowancrane.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Have got to that bit in Jarod's guide again that I understand least -
> the installing capture card drivers.
>
> Using Jarod's config didn't seem to work (ie didnt result in a
> dev/video0 device. So i'm now using the following
>
> # ivtv modules setup
> alias char-major-81 videodev
> alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
> options ivtv ivtv_debug=1
> options msp3400 once=1 simple=1

Which version of the ivtv drivers are you running? Check the ivtv
ouput from /var/log/messages to see if the tuner is being detected
correctly (i.e. PAL format).

> This results in a dev/video0 device that gives me...snow. When try to go
> through channels with /usr/lib/ivtv/ptune-ui.pl &
> and then using mplayer to watch it, I get the occasional snatch of sound
> (actual program sound, english voices, music etc) and once a cartoon
> with sound flashed on and off as I was clicking through the channel drop
> down list. I'm not sure if theres a lot of lag here selecting channels
> or what that would account for it.

If you are tuning to particular channels, use the bbc.co.uk page below
to get the channel 'numbers' you need for your location and see if
these give you a stable picture.

> Which frequency table should I be using? Europe or Europe West (there
> doesn't seem to be a specific UK entry)

Europe West (you want channels 21-69 IIRC) If you're trying to watch
the tuner from the command line, you'll need to select the correct
tuner input (using ivtvctl). You can also get the analogue channel
information you need from here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/tv_trans/index.shtml

I found that just by manually putting the correct channel 'numbers'
into mythtv, the analogue tuner on my PVR350 card worked right from
the getgo, without having to use ptune-ui.

> This card was bought about a year ago and i've been forced to reinstall
> due to a hd failure.

Once your system is reinstalled again and in a good working state,
take copies of all important config files (and the myth database) - if
anything should go wrong again and you need to reinstall, this should
speed things up a lot.

Nick