[mythtv-users] Editing Firewire HDTV Caps; Sync and Corruption Issues

Jean Connelly unksme at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:55:18 UTC 2005

Hello,

I'm trying my first "firewire hdtv cap -> pretty archive dvd" process.
I'm having some luck and running into some problems.

First, any suggestions on where I should really be asking this
question?  AVS forum generally isn't linux enough ... videohelp also
doesn't seem to have the user base in these areas...

The question is here because I started with a mythtv 0.18 firewire cap
from my motorola cable box.

Question 2) What's the best way to identify the nature of the stream
I've captured?  mplayer tells me it is1920x1080 Mpeg PES.  How do I
find out without viewing it if it is interlaced or progressive
footage?   And is there any way to identify telecining if present
(again, without viewing it)?

Question 3) I can't seem to playback the stream on my P4 2.4, (it is
really choppy and then I lose sound altogether) but I assume that is
because my system is too slow.  What is a good way to verify the
integrity of the stream (other than watching it) and what tools will
repair the stream or put it into the best possible state for other
tools.

Question 4) What do we have for editors for this stuff?  I've looked
in the archive of this list and I've seen references to gopchop,
gopedit, avidemux, and avidemux2.  Am I missing anything?  Avidemux2
is the only one that opened my stream (others choked).  While trying
output raw video without processing, Avidemux2 will output a new TS
of an edit for me, but chokes if I try to output a PS or a plain MPG.
 I figured that the exported TS isn't in very good shape, but I've
been able to take some of the chunks and generate nice mpeg2enc m2v's
with an mplayer -vo yuv4mpeg > mpeg2enc chain.  Sync seems to be off
by a constant, but I've been able to correct most of that with mplex.

I'm having trouble generating clean audio from one of the TS cuts.
I've been using mplayer -ao pcm on the file, but it seems to get hung
up in a52 scan things and my generated wave file is just odd.  I think
this goes back to question 3; what's the best way to verify and repair
my stream before I get started?

All suggestions welcome,
Thanks for reading,

Jean