[mythtv-users] XvMC output not working

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Mon May 23 14:55:34 UTC 2005

Angel Li wrote:

> Mario Limonciello wrote:
>

>>> Well XvMC was working for me just last evening.  I had to restart X
>>> this
>>> morning for some reason or another, and now it is again not working
>>> with
>>> that same BadAlloc error.  What can be causing these anomolies?
>>>

> I can confirm this behavior. Yesterday I pulled up the OSD and I
> noticed it was in color, a dead giveaway XvMC is not working, so I
> poked around some but didn't find anything. I went back to watching
> the NBA game in HD and sometime later I pulled up the OSD again and
> this time it came up gray. My Myth frontend has enough horsepower to
> not miss using XvMC so who knows how often this happens. The really
> weird thing is that the front end log file had the Bad Alloc message
> yet XvMC was working.

That was the same giveaway for me this morning too, the color OSD.

I would think my machine should be able to handle HD without xvmc, but
it can't.

Athon64 3200+
1 Gig PC3200 Ram
Asus 68V SE Deluxe
Nvidia 6600 GT
Gentoo Linux 2005.0 (Compiled in 64 bit)

I'm completely taxed and lagging away on hd without xvmc in myth.  It
plays fine with about 90 percent cpu usage in mplayer.  With xvmc I'm at
about 60-70 cpu usage (when its working).