[mythtv-users] PVR-500 D492 Finally WORKS!

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sat May 21 18:36:34 UTC 2005

Hey everyone,

    I sent this to the IVTV mailing list as well, but I thought this
might be a good reference here on the mythtv users list.

After 3 months of troubleshooting my PVR-500 MCE D492, I have finally
been able to receive a signal (great video, great sound)!  Before, I
had the frequently brought up problem of static that would fade to a
black or dark red on both turners.  I finally found my answer here:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/devel/20065#20584

First off - Chris said to try not using a driver after 0.3.2t for the
PVR-500 MCE... so, I'm using .0.3.2s.

Edit the driver/cx25840-driver.c file and change the line (L66 for me):

static int no_black_magic = 0;

static int no_black_magic = 1;

Then, save and recompile.

For some reason, just having this in the modules.conf file wasn't
enough.  Here's my settings for that (I also have 2 PVR-250s):

alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0   ivtv
alias char-major-81-1   ivtv
alias char-major-81-2   ivtv
alias char-major-81-3   ivtv
options cx25840 no_black_magic=1
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 tuner=8,8,57,57

And, that's basically all she wrote!  I really hope this helps some
people out because I couldn't figure it out without the help of Mike
Benoit.

Thanks!
Matt