[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sat May 21 02:38:20 UTC 2005

Once I grab an IR blaster - I'll add this as an input to myth.  If I
run into trouble, then I'll look into how gscanbus does the reset bus
and see what I can do to add to myth.

Elsewise, using test-mpeg2 here is the conclusion for local channels I
can get over firewire:

http://home.eng.iastate.edu/~superm1/IEEE1394/Zap2itLineup.htm

hooking up a tv to the box at the same time, i can switch the box to
diagnostics mode (Channel 999), and it will tell me why it can't send
certain channels out.  Most of the channels I was hoping for (G4 and a
few others), implement some sort of 5C protection and the box will
tell me a message similar to this:

http://home.eng.iastate.edu/~superm1/IEEE1394/dscn1095.jpg

Also - all analog channels won't at all be sent over firewire, and
still have to be tuned via another tv tuner card.

I'll see how this works with myth as soon as I have an IR blaster, but
this should help those of you in the raleigh/durham area interested in
firewire with myth.