[mythtv-users] Best remote control

Kenneth Hong kenneth_hong at hotmail.com
Fri May 20 21:10:28 UTC 2005

> I'm extremely fond of the grey/black (with curvy underside) Hauppauge
> remote -- it seems almost tailor-made for Myth. I'm not sure if you
> can buy it separately..
>
> My main problems with it is that it has buttons on it that would be
> very useful, but because of the way MythTV behaves (can't map discrete
> actions to buttons, only keystrokes) I can't really use all the
> buttons, like, say the 'Videos' and 'Pictures' buttons, to do anything
> useful.

I'd put in my vote for the One-for-All line of univeral remotes as the best
value for the money.

I use the IR receiver that comes with the PVR-250 in combination with OFA
URC-8910.  Jarod has a great guide on how to get this combination up and
running.

        http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php

The OFA remotes also happen to be JP1 - windows PC upgradeable remotes.   So
once you've got the basics working, you tweak the heck out of the remote
using macros and discrete codes.  See http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/ for
more info on JP1.

The OFA also has RF remotes like the URC-9910.

The 8910 and 9910 cost $20.59 and $37.94 on Amazon.  You can buy a cable to
link the remote to your PC for $15-30 (or make one your self).  The software
to program the remote is free.

I'm extremely happy with the results.  Even if I hadn't gotten into MythTv,
learning about JP1 remotes on Jarod's site has been one of the biggest
improvements (dollar for dollar) to my entertainment system --~$50 for a JP1
remote vs. ~$1000 for a myth box.

The WAF is very high, as we've been able to go from 4 remotes sitting on our
coffee table to just 1, and with the right macros, it is easy to switch
audio and video sources.  This isn't a pure Linux solution but it works
great.