[mythtv-users] OT: IR wired extenders

Brian McCrary bmccrary at shcircuit.com
Fri May 20 17:12:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:49:13AM -0700, Blammo wrote:

> That's not completely true. You need a reciever, a distro amp, and a
> transmitter. A lot of those are tailored to multiple recievers,
> multiple transmitters (IE whole house audio systems). I'm looking for
> single transmitter, single reciever, single path, without spending
> $150. I already have the video portion covered (I'll just mask the IR
> on the video sender).
>
> I was hoping to find a <=$30 option for hard entending it. Heck, most
> of the wireless senders are in that ballpark.
>
> >because pointing a camera at the IR extender verifies that most of the
> >time it is blasting out IR noise, which interferes with both my
> >original satellite remote and the IR blaster for Myth.

Even with a wired receiver, I wouldn't say your results are guaranteed.
I have a Niles IR sensor running on some cat 5 plugged into my amp (a HK
325, which fortunately has IR in/out which kept my cost quite fairly
low).  This config works great to control VCR, satellite, etc. but does
not work hardly at all to control MythTV since my IR reciever (a
USB-UIRT2) does not like the signals it gets from the IR vlaster that is
plugged into my amp's output jack.

So this weekend I'm just going to run another cat5 wire, and build a
serial IR reciever, like the one here:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1365880
I'll just keep all the components in my living room, and just run the
cat5 wire down to the serial port on my frontend.  I think this will
hopefully work better.

This is cost effective, but not sure if that's exactly what you're
wanting to do, but at least just be aware you may/may not have good
results with even a higher end repeater network.

Brian