[mythtv-users] Mythgame joystick hang and other issues

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Fri May 20 15:17:27 UTC 2005

So I decided to go ahead and get mythgame up and running. I followed
the MythgameHowTo at mythtv.info, and I've run into some issues. At
present, I'm only trying to run xmame against one rom, and it hangs
whenever I attempt to do so.
I've run mythfrontend from a terminal window, and grabbed the output
of the command that does not seem to be working. I'm not at the
mythbox now, or I would post it, if someone thinks it might be
necessary, I'll be happy to repost. Anywho, when run from cli in
another terminal, it fails with an error about -joystick 4 (maybe it's
-joy 4) being an invalid argument.
When I run the command with -joystick 0,1, or 2, it works fine.
-joystick 3 fails just as 4 does.

Where can I tell mythgame to use a different joystick?

Perhaps this is an issue because I don't have a joystick at all. At
present, I'd be happy to be able to use the keyboard. However, I do
have a couple of cheap USB gamepads, and would love to be able to use
these with xmame, although I'm not sure if this is possible. From the
HowTo, it looks like these can be setup for snes games. The HowTo is
pretty good, but there just isn't enough there for me to understand
the logistics of the thing. I haven't been able to find much other
documentation, perhaps there are some READMEs in the source?

Any suggestions on detailed docs for mythgame setup?