[mythtv-users] Re: Feature request: backwards compatability

cwatson at linkline.com cwatson at linkline.com
Thu May 19 19:10:18 UTC 2005

Howdy,

> Find a disc on the cover of "Linux Media Magazine" with MythTV
> binaries on it running a slightly older knoppmyth 0.17  Decide to see
> if knoppmyth is really all it's cracked up to be, only to find out
> that your backend isn't going to play nice with it.  Stomp on the
> disc, curse knoppmyth, and smile 18 hours later when your Gentoo
> install finishes and 0.18 works as expected.

Curse KnoppMyth?!  Perhaps this is why my body ached and I couldn't sleep
last night.  The MythTV versioning (non) issue is not a KnoppMyth issue.
Any one capable of reading should be about to figure this out.  In the 18
hours it took you to install Gentoo and MythTV, I could have installed
KnoppMyth on 18 PCs.  This includes downloading 0.18, producing a debs on
one to be installed on others (with much time remaining to watch TV).
> ;)
>
> Cool
Yes, KnoppMyth is cool.  If you want to use Gentoo, that is your option.  I
however would appreciate it if you didn't curse my efforts to make the
Linux/MythTV install easy for those that have better things to do with thier
time.

Regards,

Cecil