[mythtv-users] Dying Backend

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Thu May 19 12:47:04 UTC 2005

I already ran with -v all. I got nothing, the mythbackend process just apparently stopped for no reason. No errors or anything, just log entries showing the last task it completed (it completed recording then died without scheduling the commflag job), then another entry showing that my script had forced a restart.

I might try the gdb thing as well if I get a chance this weekend. It seems to be a tough problem to recreate on-demand though so it might take a little screwing around to do it. Personally I'm leaning toward a possible hardware issue as it seems feasible. I certainly vaguely remember reading about DMA bugs on VIA chipsets before, and since that's exactly what I'm running and have been encountering what I can only describe as "strange behaviour" when dealing with DMA I'm starting to suspect that's the problem.

Yesterday I ordered up a new motherboard running a Celeron 1.8 and a half gig of RAM... should be here sometime next week and I can do a motherboardectomy :)