[mythtv-users] Remote sends command twice

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 18 22:29:35 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> As for the other buttons, I'm not sure what's happening.  I'm
>> starting to think it may have something to do with the remote's only
>> sending the signal when the button is pressed firmly--meaning that if
>> I press the button enough for it to send and my finger wiggles enough
>> to cause an on-off-on, LIRC may detect that the timing is not right
>> for a remote's sending a repeat and assumes I just hit the button
>> twice...  Of course, this is all conjecture with no evidence to
>> support it, so...
>
> that's what i thought, but i have done my best to be extremely careful
> about how i press and it doesn't seem to make a difference ...
> strangely, it seems that it most likely does it when the ending screen
> is the shutdown screen ... and i can reproduce that quite often ...
>
> and for me, it's only the power button that does it :S

Now that you made me think about it, I'm pretty sure I only have the
problem with the mouse cursor (as described) and with the Stop and Power
buttons.  I have Stop mapped as Esc and Power as Alt-Esc (using
irxevent), which is the key combo I use for exiting Myth.  Mapping Power
to Alt-Esc prevents me from accidentally going to the "Exit Myth" dialog
since Esc gets ignored on the top menu.  Although I could use Power as
an Esc (since the Alt gets ignored by Myth everywhere other than at the
top menu), using Stop for Esc prevents problems.  As a matter of fact,
I'm thinking of mapping Power to something else since I never need it to
shut down mythfrontend (I could always do that with the keyboard when I
need to).  Only question is what makes sense for a power button...

>> Neither do I, but  then again, I just recently upgraded to 0.7.0
>> final and haven't had time to play with the new stuff, yet.  So,
>> maybe we both should have it...  I plan to play around with repeat,
>> delay, and min_repeat.  I'll let you know if I improve things...
>
> i did with some things (since my 4yo son was having a hell of a time
> navigating the menus in Monsters, Inc. with the repeat rate too fast)

Yeah, I have repeat=0 (explicitly set) on everything except volume.  Are
you using delay for volume?  Have you played with min_repeat at all?  If
so, I'd be interested in seeing your config (you can send it to me
offline if you like).

>> (BTW, did your 0.7.0pre lircd.conf stop working with 0.7.0 final?  I
>> had to re-program my remote with irrecord because all the codes
>> changed... ???)
>
> not positive on that, but i *think* it did ... something about the
> prefix, not the entire number, iirc,

Exactly--just the prefix.  Couldn't figure out whether I messed things
up or if LIRC was really reading things differently.  I think it's from
changes to the code that allows explicitly setting the channel, but I
can't figure out how the changes could have made the difference it did.
Anyway, glad to hear that it really did change.  Either way, my
lircd.conf works better than the one I downloaded, anyway...

> but i did that around the time of changing from kernel-2.4.x to
> kernel-2.6.x ... will soon (hopefully) be reinstalling that machine
> with gentoo instead, so i'll get to try a lot of this stuff from
> scratch (well, obviously i'll back up settings, but i may see if
> starting clean w/ lirc stuff helps my case any)

Good luck.  I've got a couple of higher-priority machines that I need to
update before my Myth box, but I'll be in your shoes before long.

Mike