[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Wed May 18 18:06:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 10:49:01AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On 5/18/05, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:
> <MASSIVE SNIP>
> > ...and this system doesn't stop that! So why?
> >

> All I can say is many people who wrote the spec disagree with you but
> I support your rights to go understand their point of view better.

So help me.  Are you saying the technical people really felt that
the DRM would keep the tv shows off the P2P networks?   I have to
believe they understood that a single cracked copy can spread like
wildfire, so that a day after the single crack, it's no different from
1,000 people having cracked copies to put up.

I can understand if they felt that the DRM would delay the arrival of
the cracked copy by some number of days, but surely that wasn't enough
to justify all this.

Is it that they wrote this before the rise of bittorrent and thus
didn't fully grasp how quickly one copy could become thousands?

Perhaps they did not grasp that as legal pressure was applied to P2P
networks, coders would develop anonymous P2P networks or resist in
other ways.  That many coders, with little interest in piracy, would do
this because they didn't like the attacks on the technology?

If you have a better understanding of how they thought it would play
out, why it would be worth all this, I want to learn.  Where do they
disagree with the message you snipped?