[mythtv-users] Can't connect to master backend server

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Sun May 15 23:11:10 UTC 2005

On 5/15/05, stan <stanb at panix.com> wrote:

> If I go to "schedule recordings" I get a mesage about "Can't connect to
> master backend server", and then the schedule pops up. But when I try to
> schedule somethign, I get that message again.
>
> I've tried putting both "127.0.0.1" and the machine's name in both the IP
> address filed, and the master backend filed in mythtv-setup.
>
> Can someone sugest where I should start looking? I've got to go out of town
> shortly, and my SO is _very_ unhappy that Myth is not working :-(

Stan,
   I don't claim to have any real answers but I had some similar
problems when I was getting my laptop linked into my backend server so
that I could watch in another room. On my Gentoo systems here mysql is
setup to be pretty secure and is not bound to any lan port. I had to
change the settings for mysql to tell it to bind to the server's eth0
IP address before I could connect from any other location.

   Maybe you have something like this going on?

   Until I could do mysql commands from another machine and talk to
the mythconverg database nothing worked correctly. Also the way mysql
is setup here I cannot log into the mythconverg database when logged
in as root. More security I think.

   Don't forget that there are mysql commands you have to execute
within mysql also to open the database up to your local network.

   Hope this helps a little.

cheers,
Mark