[mythtv-users] OT: backing up to hard drive

John Villalovos sodarock at gmail.com
Sat May 14 06:56:08 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Matthew Schumacher <schu at schu.net> wrote:
> pmb wrote:
> Ok, there is a really good way to do this, go look at:
>
> http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
>
> Basically you can have a rotation that only consumes the size of the
> data plus change over the rotation period.

I like rdiff-backup myself.  Same idea but it already takes care of
all the work for you.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

Part of the Fedora Core 3 Extras packages too.

What is it?

rdiff-backup backs up one directory to another, possibly over a
network. The target directory ends up a copy of the source directory,
but extra reverse diffs are stored in a special subdirectory of that
target directory, so you can still recover files lost some time ago.
The idea is to combine the best features of a mirror and an
incremental backup. rdiff-backup also preserves subdirectories, hard
links, dev files, permissions, uid/gid ownership, and modification
times. Also, rdiff-backup can operate in a bandwidth efficient manner
over a pipe, like rsync. Thus you can use rdiff-backup and ssh to
securely back a hard drive up to a remote location, and only the
differences will be transmitted. Finally, rdiff-backup is easy to use
and settings have sensical defaults.