[mythtv-users] freeview, aspect ratios and mythtv annoyance

Frank Visser frank.visser at gmail.com
Thu May 12 17:45:16 UTC 2005

I have just installed mythtv and I am trying to resolve an annoying
issue with the combination of freeview and mythtv. I have a widescreen
TV (16:9 aspect ratio), and if I understand it correctly freeview
broadcasts anamorphic 16:9, i.e. a squashed version of 16:9 that can
be stretched to display on the TV without losing quality. So when
going from the frontend to Live TV, when the TV is in 'widescreen'
mode I get big black bars (letterbox) above and below the picture.
That doesn't look right, so I use '4:3' mode, which gets me bars on
all sides of the picture,  'smart' which gives me smaller black bars,
and 'zoom' which gets rid of all the bars, and no obvious (to me)
distortion in the picture. So that seems to me right mode

However, when I switch back into the mythtv frontend part of the
picture is gone, and I only get it back by switching into 'widescreen'
mode. I find his annoying. Is there any way to set up myth that it
fits correctly in a 'zoom' image, or is it just a matter of starting
the frontend with a size option?

Frank