[mythtv-users] how much space does an HD recording take?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Thu May 12 06:05:57 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 03:13:32PM -0600, Chad wrote:
> On 5/9/05, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> > for 100 hours, you will need 800GB of hard drive :-)
>

> > > I think he is asking the right question - he's just getting the wrong
> > > assumptions.
> > >
> > > I think the 7-8GB/hr estimate is the best guess- so you need ~ 80GB of
> > > TV storage, before transcoding.
>

> 800GB is correct for 100 hours of uncompressed HDTV recordings.
> However, you will need a buffer for LiveTV, and overhead for the OS,
> so you're really looking at at least 810GB :-D

Not really, since the average is less than 8gb in my experience, closer
to 7gb, and as noted, for 24fps filmed material, 3-5 gb/hour.

Of course, you will eventually be able to get a decent transcode to mp4
without losing resolution (I still experience problems with that though
downscaled transcodes have been OK) and get by with perhaps half the space
if you want to, and have the cpu.

You can go even smaller, I've transcoded quite decent 1280x540x30p from
1080i in only 1.5gb per hour of mp4!