[mythtv-users] PVR-350 cannot watch live tv until after a scheduled recording

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 11 23:12:53 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, John Siirola <jsiirola at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I have MythTV 0.18 (finally) running, but am hitting one very frustrating
> problem:  I cannot watch live tv until after a scheduled recording has
> occurred.  If I try "Watch TV" before mythbackend has recorded something,
> it goes to channel 4 for about 10 seconds before dumping me to an error
> screen saying "Error was encountered while displaying video" with only a
> single button, "Return to Menu".  During those 10 seconds, mythfrontend is
> completely unresponsive.  However, after the first scheduled recording,
> everything is fine until I have to reboot the system (usually because
> mythweb crashes mythbackend and KDE messes up access to /dev/dsp,
> requiring reboot).
>
> I have looked through the list archives and not found anything...  anyone
> have any ideas?  It sounds to me like mythbackend uses a different routine
> to initialize the card for scheduled recordings from the one it uses for
> live tv.  I am sure I am just missing some config option, but for the life
> of me I can't find it.

John,

It looks like it's a problem with the way your 350 card's inputs are
defined within mythtv. Note the error:

2005-05-11 16:39:25.586 ChannelBase: Could not find input: Television
on card when setting channel 3

When asking for LiveTV myth is timing out after failing to find the
input, giving you the unresponsiveness you are seeing. Also, make sure
the before the backend starts up, the ivtv driver is loaded also. You
could experiment by turning off the mythbackend service, manually
modproding the ivtv driver, then restarting mythbackend to see if this
alleviates the problem.

If this doesn't help, it may worthwhile to either delete the capture
card details in mythtvsetup and re-enter the details, taking care to
ensure the inputs on the card are correct and assigned to the right
channels lineup.

Nick