[mythtv-users] Scary times ahead

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk
Wed May 11 21:29:30 UTC 2005

Gabe wrote:

> > > Not wishing to start a vi related discussion however I
> think Vi to
> > > the Linux newbie is like a brick to a drowning man. Far
> better for a
> > > newbie to learn something like Emacs or even a GUI editor such as
> > > Kate before they look at vi.
> >
> > The gui editors I can understand.....but Emacs over Vi for ease of
> > use???
> >
> to drop my 2 cents in, just use something like nano or pico.
> Intuitive, straightforward and perfect for the ssh session.
>
> There really is NO REASON to need to know emacs or vi to use
> myth.  None!

Agreed but
A) There is gvim which while offering all the usuall keys also has menus for
everything
(with what the keys are/do), so once you get the hang of the GUI version the
text only
version acts the same.
B) There is a windows version (near identical to the linux version of gvim)
C) (g)vi(m) is on just about every linux distro and unix flavour[1].

Still, personally I'd say try them all and use whatever you feel happiest
with.

Personally I now have a bad habit of trying vi commands in word/outloot etc
:-)

David

[1] I learnt it mainly on SINIX-Y 5.43 [2]...
[2] Proper UNIX :-)