[mythtv-users] AC3 passthrough driving me up a wall..

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:48:33 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Justin The Cynical <cynical at penguinness.org> wrote:
> I finally got the digital out working for the coax on my Teac receiver,
> but I can not get the AC3 pass through working.  Every time I try to
> start mplayer with "-ac hwac3,", it dies with:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1155:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p failed:
> No such device
>
> The node does exist in /dev/snd
>
> SoundBlaster Live 5.1 ("retail", more like OEM in a retail box,
> creative, those bunch of bastages)
> Fedora Core 2
> Alsa 1.0.4 (per /proc/asound/version)
> MythTV .16
>
> I had followed Jarod's how to and it has been working perfectly using
> the analogue output from the SB card, but I would like to be able to
> take advantage of the abilities of my receiver.

Justin,

A couple of questions:

i) Have you got analogue audio being passed through the SPDIF to your
receiver successfully?

ii) What are the permissions on the device mplayer is trying to use?

iii) Have you considered upgrading to a newer version of ALSA, (1.0.8
for example)?

iv) What is the output of 'aplay -l'

v) What is the output of 'aplay -L'

vi) Are you using ALSA's OSS emulation successfully in mythmusic?

Nick