[mythtv-users] anyone using Roku HD1000 with myth frontend ?

David Shay david at shay.net
Wed May 11 02:30:24 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mudit Wahal" <mwahal at gmail.com>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 11:13 AM
Subject: [mythtv-users] anyone using Roku HD1000 with myth frontend ?

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for opinions for using Roku HD1000 as mythtv frontend. I
> think since last month, some developers have build mythtv frontend for
> the HD1000.
>
> I want to know if people have tried HD1000 and happy/unhappy with it.
>
> I think for under $300 its a very good solution for someone looking
> for cheap & quiet solution. It has onboard mpeg-2 decoder. Sure, it
> wont play mpeg4(divx) etc right now. But if someone writes a mpeg4 to
> mpeg2 transcoder for the backend (its also needed for haupagge media
> mvp), then HD1000 is an all around solution. The cromwell motherboard
> is about $300, then adding the slim case, power supply, memory, *time*
> etc , the final cost is about $600. Everything else is too noisy to
> put in same cabinet and still costs over $500 (p4-3ghz box with a good
> motherboard , slim case, quiet power supply etc etc still costs $600).

I just bought one and it was very easy to get mythroku up and running.
Right now the frontend needs a bit of visual work, but it's even usable
as-is.  The only real problem with the current incarnation is that if your
show has no subtitle, you basically have to pick an episode "blind".  Other
than that, it works well, nice skip increments (-10 sec, -30 sec, +1min,
+3min, if I recall.), great video quality.  For a basic playback-only
frontend, I wholeheartedly recommend it.  That being said, you can't
currently skip commercials automatically, use bookmarks, schedule programs,
or watch live TV.  There is work being done on these fronts, however.

I wouldn't hold my breath for too long on the backend transcoder.  That is
probably a few months off for a working architecture, unless somebody is
working on something I'm not aware of.

Interaction with mythvideo or mythmusic isn't there yet, either.