[mythtv-users] Fedora 3 and SUID

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue May 10 20:29:34 UTC 2005

On 5/10/2005 3:56 PM, Rich Goodin wrote:

> On May 10, 2005, at 12:52 PM, Donavan Stanley wrote:
>
>> On 5/10/05, Rich Goodin <rich at goodin.com> wrote:
>>
>>> When I run mythfrontend as root I get the confirmation that it is
>>> able to up the priority of the thread as expected. Then I make
>>> mythfrontend SUID root by:
>>>
>>> chmod root.root mythfrontend
>>> chmod a+s mythfrontend
>>

>> Is that a typo for: chown root:root mythfrontend?
>
> Yes, I meant to type "chown root.root mythfrontend".

How about chmod u+s mythfrontend (not a+s)?  a+s also makes it SGID,
which you shouldn't need.

Also make sure you don't have more than one mythfrontend binary.  Do a
'which mythfrontend' and make sure it returns the one you are
expecting.  Do an ls -l `which mythfrontend` .  Are the permissions like
this: -rwsr-xr-x ?

HTH,

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (pictures, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info