[mythtv-users] Fedora 3 and SUID

Rich Goodin rich at goodin.com
Tue May 10 19:42:45 UTC 2005

Is anyone using Fedora Core 3 and SUID successfully?

When I run mythfrontend as root I get the confirmation that it is
able to up the priority of the thread as expected. Then I make
mythfrontend SUID root by:

chmod root.root mythfrontend
chmod a+s mythfrontend

I made sure that selinux is not enabled by:
- passing selinux=0 at boot
- removing it from the kernel compile
- set SELINUX=disabled in /etc/sysconfig/selinux

When I run as a normal user, I still get the warning message from
mythfrontend:
"Realtime priority would require SUID as root"

I've searched the archives with no luck. All the hits just mention
the "chmod +s" and the possibility that selinux disables SUID. Any
idea what I'm missing?

Rich Goodin