[mythtv-users] PVR-500 vs PVR-250 volumes

Brian Meehan emt244671 at gmail.com
Tue May 10 17:14:04 UTC 2005

I just got my PVR-500 (81-1, 81-2) working alongside a PVR-250 (81-0).
A couple of tips that I learned with the latest ivtv rpms from Axel's
"bleeding" section - Don't use the 2.6-11 kernel yet, as it didn't
have support for tuner #57 on the PVR-500s, but the 2.6-10 kernel did
just fine. After upgrading, I realized that Axel didn't have 2.6-11 on
his site anyway, so it must have apt-upgraded from one of the other
repositories.

Also, I had a line in my modprobe file "alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv".
That seemed to make the sound very tin-y sounding, metallic-like. I
removed that line and the sound is much better.

Has anyone noticed a difference in the volume levels for those of you
with a 250/350 and a 150/500 in the same box? The 500 on mine is 1.5 -
2x as loud as the recordings from the 250. Just a curiosity.

Thank Jared for your guide on the 500 install and Axel for his awesome
packaging - I've still never had to compile anything for mythTV. Also
thanks to the gurus on the ivtv dev team for cracking this card and
making it work on our systems.