[mythtv-users] Re: .18 CPU optimizations

Hamish Moffatt hamish at cloud.net.au
Tue May 10 04:07:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:07:29PM -0700, myth joe wrote:
> Nonetheless, the point stands that benchmarks are needed.  What are
> the bottlenecks in MythTV?  Let's rule out MPEG2 recording and
> playback since hardware assist exists for those.  That leaves MPEG4
> encoding and playback and commflagging.

What hardware decode assistance are you referring to for MPEG-2?

PVR-350: seems to be particular about the MPEG format, and if you don't
need analog capture (eg a DVB/HDTV only system) you wouldn't have one.

XvMC: there seems to be plenty of trouble with this still and it's
vendor-specific in parts too. Perhaps I'm overstating the situation.

Hamish