[mythtv-users] Re: pcHDTV3000 - Anyone installed and use this?

Michael Haan michael.haan at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:32:04 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Kyle Rose <krose+mythtv at krose.org> wrote:
> > I would have been able to tell you had I been at home.  Sorry.  My
> > motherboard is the EpOX EP-9NDA3+
> > (http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-9NDA3plus).
>
> Well, from looking at the specs, I can suggest the following:
>
> "Two S-ATA ports from nForce3 Ultra with up to 150MBps bandwidth
> Two S-ATA ports from Marvell 88SR3020 SATA PHY"
>
> I recommend using the nForce3 SATA heads.  You're not using RAID, right?
> Make sure it's set up as non-RAID in the BIOS, and then try these
> instructions that I found with Google:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/5/2005/03/4/304143
>
> "OK. I did a bit of searching and found these:
>
> about half way down. Use find to search the page for "nforce3":
>
> [url]http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html[/url]
>
> Also about half way down, look at post by Augustus, he has a list in there:
>
> [url]http://www.linuxhardware.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=19;t=32;st=20[/url]
>
> Look under "nForce3 Ultra Linux Support" which is a bit under the first
> two pics. It tells where the drivers are in the config:
>
> [url]http://www.linuxhardware.org/features/04/10/19/1654258.shtml[/url]
>
> That is a bit to read and may require a bit of stiching together but it
> did help me to find this in the 2.6.11-gentoo-r4 kernel config screen:
>
> [CODE] │ │ [*] Serial ATA (SATA) support │ │
> │ │ < > AHCI SATA support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ < > ServerWorks Frodo / Apple K2 SATA support │ │
> │ │ <*> Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support │ │
> │ │ < > NVIDIA SATA support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ < > Promise PATA 2027x support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ < > Promise PATA 2027x support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ < > Promise SATA TX2/TX4 support │ │
> │ │ < > Pacific Digital SATA QStor support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ Promise SATA SX4 support │ │
> │ │ < > Silicon Image SATA support │ │
> │ │ SiS 964/180 SATA support │ │
> │ │ < > ULi Electronics SATA support (NEW) │ │
> │ │ < > VIA SATA support │ │
> │ │ < > VITESSE VSC-7174 SATA support │ │[/CODE]
>
> It looks like it should work if whatever you install detects it
> properly. If you need to use this, this is the path to the drivers:
> Device Drivers > SCSI device support > SCSI low-level drivers, just in
> case you need to know that. Also make sure you have your BIOS set up
> properly before you start the install. From what I have read, that is
> critical.
>
> Now go install something and let us know how well, ;) , it goes.
>
> Hope all that helps. I'm on a slow dial-up and it takes a while to get
> all that. :( :( "
>
> Cheers,
> Kyle

I'm not using RAID.  I do have 3 250GB SATA drives in there, so I
can't just use the nVidia ports.  Come to think of it, it does seem to
freeze (again, only with 2.6.10 and above) when it's loading the third
drive, so maybe it'd make sense that those drivers are the issue.  So,
in your post I see that "Intel PIIX/ICH SATA support" was selected -
is that what you think will provide support for those other two drive
ports?