[mythtv-users] Re: Making best use of spare PCs

Jonathan Link jonathan.link at gmail.com
Mon May 9 11:30:25 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Daniel Howell <howelld at brumster.com> wrote:
> > Why are you transcoding these files when they're MPEG2 to start with?
> > Here's a quick test - transfer one of your DVB recordings to a Windows
> > machine, rename it to .mpg, and try to play it. If you've got MPEG2
> > codecs installed, you should see crystal clear video.
>
> Yes, I'd thought that, but a straight drag'n'drop to an XP box, rename and
> play, and WMP doesn't recognise it. Most likely my recording profile is to
> blame - are there any settings specific to making a DVD-compatible file
> that I maybe am misunderstanding, do you think?

Where did you get the MPEG2 codec?   IIRC, I was only able to watch my
shows after installing WinDVD (which has the MPEG2 codec) on y laptop.
 They do not come by default with Windows, and the fact that WMP
doesn't recognize it hints at not having the proper codec installed.
If you have a Hauppage PVR-x50, you may be able to use the CD to
install the codec.
I'm not an expert, but this was my experience.
-Jonathan