[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Sat May 7 02:24:52 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:

> Yeah, actually it's been harder than that. To sum it up, right now I'm
> sitting at work, looking at the livecd# prompt via an ssh connection.
> The livecd boot seems to have only picked up my IDE drive attached to my
> Promise 150 PATA connector. I can see it via fdisk /dev/sda1.
>
> I also have two SCSI drives connected to an Advansys controller but they
> are nowhere to be found. I know I was required to load a driver when
> installing Fedora Core 3. I suspect I have to do something similar here
> but have no clue where to begin. Google hasn't turned up anything so I
> made a plea to the gentoo-users list. I'm anxiously awaiting someone to
> take pity on me. :)

I take it you are trying to install your system to one of the SCSI drives?
If you're not, just go ahead and install everything to the IDE drive and
when you get to the part of compiling your kernel just make sure you build
in the driver. It looks like that particular driver isn't loaded by default.

You'll have to change the code maturity option so that you'll be able to
find the driver in the SCSI low level menu of your kenerl configure. The
fact that it's a new driver is probably why it's not loading for you by
default.

Your best bet is to install to your IDE drive, and if you'd like your SCSI
drive to be your boot drive just build the correct kernel drvier and move
your data over once your system is running. Don't forget to change your
fstab though before rebooting on the SCSI drive.