[mythtv-users] Re: DVD recording sync issues with PVR 350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 6 05:33:15 UTC 2005

John Kondis wrote:

>  --- Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> wrote:
>
> > I'll bet that since mplayer is good enough to play with varying
> > PTS/DTS, it doesn't try to fix that. I did mess with a few options
> > like init_vpts, init_apts, vdelay, drop, tsaf, reorder.... nothing
> > seemed to help that issue.
>
>  I'm surprised at this. Lots of tools that can "play" an mpeg2 stream
>  with errors OK, but can't transcode a stream in a fault tolerant way.
>  Sad, if true.

Cory's theory makes sense, though.  If MPlayer can handle MPEG with
varying sync, why re-write it to constant sync during a transcode?

>  BTW, I *do* use (digital) cable and I get these errors all the time.

Me too.  Satellite here and a friend has cable.  I have a few errors in
my recordings and have had a really hard time trying to get some of his
recordings to DVD.

>  There *has* to be a way around this sync problem.

I just tried demuxing a couple of particularly nasty 2-hour recordings
(recorded from the cable connection) with Project X (
http://www.lucike.info/page_projectx.htm ) and it seems to have cleaned
up the streams very well.

Before Project X, I tried opening directly with Avidemux2 and had a 5s
A/V offset at the end of the recording.  After using remux to "average"
the sync ;), I was still off by 3s at the end of the recording.  I also
tried using mencoder to copy the MPEG Elementary Streams into an AVI
container, then open the AVI in Avidemux2 (and let it rebuild frames),
but was still off by a couple of seconds at the end.  Tried using
tcextract and transcode and didn't have any luck with any of them.  In
all cases the offset varied throughout the video.

So, as suggested by Nick in this thread, I tried Project X.  I just
opened the video and demux'ed with default settings.  It threw away a
ton of broken video (11.278 seconds total!  Started at 2:05:55.422 and
ended at 2:05:44.144).  Afterwards, I could open the video in Avidemux2,
specify an external MPEG audio stream, and the recording was in sync.

Since I needed to cut commercials (and wanted to cut both audio and
video from the commercials :), I remux'ed the streams with:

mplex -f 3 -b 300 -V -r 9600 ${FILE}.mpa ${FILE}.m2v -o ${FILE}.mpg

The multiplexed stream opened without problems in Avidemux2 and sync is
dead on throughout the video.  Now to cut, save, and burn...

Unfortunately, Project X is slow.  It took 2hr 20min to demux each 2hr
5min video.  Well, it's still better than re-encoding...  And it would
be nice if it were command-line capable.  At least I can specify a whole
slew of recordings in a collection and demux them all at once (limited
only be available drive space).

Also interesting is the fact that Avidemux2 plays the cleaned up streams
nicely (normally, all my recordings stutter and play back slower than
real time in Avidemux2, but play fine in xine and MPlayer).  It seem
that the errors in the stream cause Avidemux2 a lot of difficulty.

>  (FWIW I also tried lopping the file into a few pieces using dd, but
>  that was, err, unsuccessful. ;)

:)

>  I promise if anyone can help point me towards a solution, I'll post
>  any successful results I get on this list, as well as how I did it.
>  I might even buy you a beer. ;)

HTH.

Mike