[mythtv-users] Recoding in native TS format and Setup with ATSC as DVB card

Jonathan Watmough jonathan.watmough at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:19:54 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Howard Cokl <hojoloco at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Andrew Chung <acchung at techie.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone. I just started exploring MythTV so
> > please bear with me if I
> > ask a question that has already been answered. I've
> > tried Googling and
> > reading as much as I can but my eyes are starting to
> > bleed!
> >
> > Is it possible to have MythTV record to a raw .TS
> > file instead of its native
> > .nuv format? What is the difference between these
> > two file formats? My
> > goal is to archive shows on a permanent basis and I
> > would prefer to get
> > either a raw .TS or a pure MPEG-2 from the transport
> > stream.
> > Also I'm checking the option on the video input to
> > save as .ts instead of
> > .ps. What does this actually do?
> >

> > My second question is a setup question. I've been
> > struggling with getting
> > the Linux system stable and to get my 2 pcHDTV
> > HD-3000 cards working. Took
> > me a while but those seem to be working fine. When
> > it came to installing
> > MythTV the online docs were pretty good, except for
> > the part where you add
> > channels.
> >
> > Initially I signed up for Zap2It and performed a
> > mythfilldatabase as the
> > manual instructed. However I was never able to get
> > any channels to tune. A
> > few days later I figured out that I can do an ATSC
> > tune and I was able to
> > see all my local OTA channels. At this point
> > however, I had a disconnect
> > between the guide information and some tunable
> > channels. The guide couldn't
> > tune, and the tuneable channels had no guide!
> > Tonight I tried taking the
> > XMLTVIDs from the Zap2It guide. I purged the
> > database and started with a
> > clean one. I then scanned my OTA channels. After
> > scanning I manually set
> > the XMLTVID values for each of my channels. Is this
> > the way it works or am
> > I missing something fundamental here?
> >
> > Been having fun trying to get this working!
> >
> > Andy

Not used the Myth channel scan, but I took the slightly different route of
manually pinning down all the channels with dtvscan /dev/dtv, then building
a profile on zap2it, then manually tweaking the channel values until
everything tuned properly in myth.

I'm on the CVS from about 5 weeks ago, but still using the HDTV drivers
rather than the DVB ones, which I couldn't get to work.

Andy,