[mythtv-users] Serious performance issues with Fedora Core 3 & MythTV

Matt Merkey powermatt at cfl.rr.com
Thu May 5 18:05:31 UTC 2005

Within the past couple weeks I upgraded from MythTV 0.17 to 0.18, and
got several updates for FC3 as well. After that, mythtv's performance
just went straight to crap. I'm seeing much higher CPU usage, jumpy
video (when the CPU usage spikes at 100%) and really awful crackling
sound. I did a clean installation of FC3 and MythTV and nothing changed.
I tried downgrading to MythTV 0.17 and nothing changed. I've tried both
with and without the Linux drivers for my Radeon 9600, no change. The
conclusion would seem to be that something that was updated with FC3 is
causing the awful performance, but I'll be darned if I can figure out
what it is. Here's a summary of my system's specs:

Gigabyte GA7VA mobo
AMD XP 1900+ (@ 1.6 ghz)
512 mb of RAM
Western Digital ATA/100 160 gb 7200 RPM hard drive
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
ATI TV Wonder (the old plain PCI version, yes I know it's an awful card)
Creative Audigy Gamer sound card

Up until that update, I had silky-smooth performance in MythTV and
excellent sound. I've been posting at mythtvtalk.com, but so far I've
been unable to get any help from there. What's the culprit here?