[mythtv-users] SPDIF, Stutter and Query for where to look for more help

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Thu May 5 03:55:02 UTC 2005

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Are you still using ALSA:spdif?  That will not work.  spdif is an
> alias that sends the stream directly to the digital output (on your
> card, hw:0,4)--which is expecting 48000Hz PCM (for PCM, that is--AC3
> would also work, but you won't get that from NTSC broadcasts).  You'll
> need to change it to ALSA:mixed-digital or ALSA:digital or uncomment
> the appropriate lines of the .asoundrc to set your default output and
> use ALSA:default.  Note that if using OSS emulation, you'll need to
> set the default output appropriately (meaning you might as well set it).

No, I also did this:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

... and set ALSA:default.

> GF2 would probably have the same problems.  It's probably because of
> using the wrong GL libraries (i.e. the ones in X instead of nVidia's),
> but that's a whole different thread...  :)

I see that in the post from Howard Cokl.  I will give that a try.

> I wouldn't necessarily say that's true.  Audio processing tends to
> require little effort from modern CPU's.  Once you configure yours
> correctly, it should work fine.

I'll try to get this one working, but if not, I can borrow a SB card, I
think, to try out.

> Don't know about the Hercules.  The only hardware ones I have are SB
> cards with the Emu10K1, but I haven't bought a discrete sound card in
> 6 years, so...

I haven't either, since my Turtle Beach Montego II (and it was
surplus).  Onboard has worked well for everything I have tried until now.

Thanks again for the pointers.

Jeff.