[mythtv-users] strange scheduling decisions

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed May 4 21:42:09 UTC 2005

Peter Lee wrote:
> Hi.  I run a very stable mythtv system consisting of a combo master
> backend + frontend, plus a slave backend.  Each backend system has a
> pvr250, and each has its own disk for storing the TV shows.  The
> pvr250 in the master backend is the preferred one (since it is
> connected to digital cable).  So, normally, the master is chosen the
> record shows unless there is a conflict, in which case the slave
> usually ends up recording the lower-priority program.
>
> I run cvs and normally update pretty regularly (about once per week),
> though right now I am running a system that hasn't been updated since
> just after 0.18 was announced.
>
> Well, today I was looking at the scheduled recordings.  I noticed that
> today (Wednesday) there are about half a dozen shows scheduled to
> record, all on the master except for one, which due to a time conflict
> is scheduled for the slave.
>
> But tomorrow, Thursday, *all* the scheduled recordings (about 10 of
> them) are set up for the *slave*, leaving the master completely idle.
> Not only that, but one program will not be recorded because of a time
> conflict, even though the master backend will be idle.  Note that the
> disks are less than half full on both systems, and in particular the
> master backend currently has over 160GB of space left in the video
> partition.
>
> Starting on Friday and extending as far as the schedule allows, the
> scheduled recordings are shown to be reverting back to the master, as
> usual.
>
> So, my question: What is going on with Thursday's schedule?  Why are
> they all set up for the slave backend?  And why won't the system
> schedule anything for the master on Thursday, but is happy to do so
> today, Friday, Saturday, ...?

As a guess at one possibility, check the last item scheduled for
Wednesday to see if the enddate is wrong and it is, say, a 25 hour
recording rather than 1 one hour timeslot. If so, there may have
been a mistake made by the grabber or something. Or as Shaun Bryant
suggested, if they are two different video sources the Thursday
data may be missing for the master's source.

In any case, run "mythbackend --printsched" from another shell
and attach the output.

--  bjm